What is the Coronavirus?
The Coronavirus, or COVID-19, is becoming a growing public health threat for the United States. The virus, which emerged in China late last year, has infected more than 89,000 people globally, killing 3,000. Spread across at least 12 states, there are now 90 reported cases of the illness in the US and numbers continue to rise.
Here’s what we know about the virus:
- COVID-19 is spread mainly through person to person contact (within about 6 feet) or through respiratory droplets
- Incubation period of COVID-19 is within 14 days of exposure
- Symptoms of COVID-19 include cough, fever and shortness of breath, similar to those of the flu
- As of today, there is not a cure for the virus. Treatment measures work only to relieve symptoms
How can you prepare for COVID-19?
Growing concern from world leaders has caused many to feel uneasy about increasing risk to themselves and their family. For those in charge of building operations, facilities management, or human resources, the threat likely produces even more anxiety. First, it’s important not to panic, but it’s even more important to make sure your facility is prepared.
According to the CDC, these are some of the recommended, everyday preventative actions to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
Get an Added Layer of Protection with Touch Point Facility Cleanings
Building managers know that, while it would be nice for occupants to follow these guidelines, it’s impossible to control the personal hygiene of others. Plus, the CDC has stated that it may be possible for a person to get COVID-19 just by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it. In addition, even when building occupants are asymptomatic, spread of the disease is possible. For these reasons, it’s important for management to put professional cleaning measures into place.
While it’s been stated that standard cleaning products should work fine against COVID-19, the key to killing viruses is by using cleaning products thoroughly and correctly. At AHI, our commercial cleaning team members are experts in the disinfection of many types of facilities, from schools to offices and commercial warehouses. Using our proven, quality controlled cleaning methods, we’ll provide you with peace of mind during these times of uncertainty. Contact us about our touch point Coronavirus cleaning services, which can easily be added onto existing contracts to meet the needs of clients.